Steve's Pasta Combo (get PDF)
I dreamed this recipe up one time while in the grocery store, deciding what to make for dinner. I knew what my mouth wanted to taste, and started putting items in the cart. It has since become a family favorite. I like this recipe because of its versatility. I can always try a new ingredient each time I make it.
this go-around I used:
2 lbs hot sausage
1 lb farfalle pasta
1 lb green beans
1 large can sliced black olives
several large onions
shredded mozzarella cheese
Cut the sausage into managable lengths. You can cook the sausage any way you
prefer, but I like to cook it on the grill using indirect heat (lid on). It
cooks thoroughly, saves messy cleanup, and gives me time to prepare everything
else in the kitchen.
While the sausage is cooking, saute several large onions in olive oil until
they are tender and slightly caramelized.
3. Cook your pasta al dente. You can use any type of pasta but I find farfalle works best with this recipe as it mixes well with the other ingredients. Put the cooked pasta into a large bowl.
4. When the onions have finished cooking, add them to the bowl. Add any extra olive oil left in the pan as well.
5. Cook the green beans according to the directions and when done, add them to the bowl.
6. Drain the olives and add them to the bowl.
7. Chop a liberal amount of fresh basil and add it to the bowl.
8. When the sausage is done, cut into bitesize pieces and add it to the bowl.
9.Add shreded mozzarella cheese to the bowl. If some of the items in the bowl will still be hot, the cheese will partially melt.
10. Add more olive oil and mix thoroughly with a large strong spoon. I used my metal spoon rest!
Serve with grated cheese sprinkled on top and some good bread!